Vial of Life is a medical information storage kit for use in the home. The kit enables emergency responders, such as firefighters, paramedics and police, in Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties to quickly locate helpful medical history information. More...
If emergency personnel are called to a home, paramedics can access medical data stored in a vial on the top shelf in the door of the refrigerator. The Vial of Life provides residents with a medical information form, a vial to store the medical form and two stickers. Should you be unable to provide medical information yourself, this will aid emergency personnel and will accompany you to the hospital.
Sometimes knowing about the patient's medical condition can mean a difference between life and death when minutes are precious. Information stored within the vial includes: medications taken, medical history and conditions, physician's name and phone number, insurance information, and relatives who should be notified in an emergency.
Who should use the Vial of Life?
The Vial of Life is designed for people with special medical conditions such as, heart conditions, prior stroke, seizures, and respiratory conditions. This is also for people who may have a serious allergy to any medications or have any other life threatening allergies. In an emergency every minute counts. Allergies, medications and medical conditions can all have deadly consequences.
How to use the Vial of Life:
- Complete a Vial of Life form. Be sure to include the date that you completed this form.
- Attach a photograph of yourself to the back page of the form.
- Fold the Vial of Life form and place it inside the Vial of Life container.
- Place the Vial of Life container on the top shelf in the door of the refrigerator.
- Attach the Vial of Life sticker to the outside of the refrigerator in the upper right corner. This will alert emergency personnel to the presence of Vial of Life information.
Be sure to update the information in your vial as needed. An additional vial can also be kept in the glove compartment of your vehicle. Place the sticker on the outside of your glove compartment.